Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Three late terns at Pennington Flash


I arrived at the flash today full of the hope and anticipation that perhaps only a birder can feel when he sees light winds and heavy drizzle in the forecast on a dull, late September morning. The weather didn't let me down and once again produced the goods. Not only were yesterdays black tern and the long-staying common tern both still present, but as I watched them from the sailing club I suddenly heard the unmistakable screech of a Sandwich tern and saw two fly past west at close range. After a  brief circle around the western end they headed off north west over the ruck.


I know it's not much of a photo and you will have to take my word for it that they are Sandwich terns, but at least it goes someway to conveying the murk and the difficult viewing conditions.

This is the latest date I have for Sandwich tern at the flash, six days later than the previous record set in 2023, while the black tern is now also a week later than my previous latest at the flash and the common tern is my second latest ever here.

Other birds today included a drake common scoter, three great white egrets and five little egrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts