Sunday, 20 September 2026

Observations of red-throated divers from the Great Orme


The highlight of a walk around the Great Orme today was a couple of red-throated divers close inshore about 1km east of the lighthouse. One was clearly an adult in summer plumage, the other a juvenile with what I thought was a surprising amount of red on the throat.


It was a treat to see, and hear, the interactions of these birds, with the youngster (the bird on the right) constantly begging from the adult. 


I'm not sure that I've ever seen a juvenile red-throated diver adopt this posture before, presumably it's begging for food. Both birds dived while I watched, but I don't know how successful either were, I certainly didn't see the adult feed the youngster.


It's not unusual for juveniles to show some red on their throats but this seems a bit more extensive than usual to me. Perhaps I just don't see enough juveniles.



The adult was a very nice bird. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts