Sunday, 6 September 2026

Another lesser emperor at Bickershaw


A great year for dragonflies at Bickershaw still continues to produce the goods even into September. Today I found my third lesser emperor of the year at the site, on one of the small ponds between Fir Tree Flash and the stock pond. It was a really good view, a smart looking dragonfly, but unfortunately it refused to land and darted around hunting over the vegetation at the side of the pond and was completely beyond the limits of my camera. The photo was taken by clicking and hoping, I wasn't even looking through the view finder. I just pressed click! Anyway, you can see the brown thorax, the brown body and the blue saddle. The green eyes rule out vagrant emperor. So it's good enough for me!


Slightly more obliging, a migrant hawker perched in a tree. Actually it was a pretty good afternoon considering the torrential rain in the morning, with nine species of odonata seen including more willow emeralds.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts