Ladies and Gentlemen, for one night only, I give you the rockin' Nightjars!
<Insert your favourite song here>
With backing vocals from the Irate Chiffchaffs!
This wonderful nightjar was found roosting at Kenworthy woods near Chorlton
Water Park yesterday. I was walking in the Lake District at the time so had
no chance of getting to see it and I thought my opportunity was gone because
surely it wouldn't be present on the same branch this morning. I mean it
only has to move 5m into the wood and you'd never find it. Surprisingly
however, it was still present and correct at 7.30am today, in exactly the same spot.
So as long as it wasn't flushed by some <insert your favourite expletive(s) here> trying to get too close for a photo, there was a good chance
that it would still be there when we arrived early afternoon. Fortunately it
hadn't been disturbed and we had some nice views of it. All photos and video
in this post are phone-scoped.
This was only my second roosting nightjar, the last was a memorable bird on
Hilbre Island in 2015. Great though that bird was, it didn't do much, it
just sat there on a branch without moving and that was pretty much all that
I expected today. It wasn't the case though, as this bird spent time
preening and changing position on it's branch, and it preceded any movement
by rocking from side to side, a behaviour that I've never seen before.
Apparently this is all part of it's camouflage, it rocks to make itself look
like it is a leaf blowing in the wind, the theory being that if it sat
motionless and then suddenly preened, it would be more obvious than if it
rocked slowly and then preened. I suppose there is some logic in that.
The chiffchaffs weren't fooled.
Apparently it was chiffchaffs and other small birds harassing it which first
drew the attention of the finder, who thought at first that they might have
been having a go at an owl.
Also today a spotted flycatcher, my first of the year.





No comments:
Post a Comment