Still hoping for a few autumn dragonflies, especially red-veined darter, I
visited Bickershaw again this afternoon. I've started taking in New Water a
bit more in the hope that if I don't see much in the way of dragonflies, I
might at least have a chance of an autumn wader. I mean it did once hold a white-tailed plover for a couple of days, so surely a green sandpiper or dunlin aren't beyond the realms of
possibility? Sadly I've not seen a single wader on New Water all year except
for the occasional lone lapwing.
However, it was still a worthwhile visit, with yet another clouded yellow, at
least the 14th of the year.
Six species of odonata today, with three hawkers, common x1, migrant x15 and
southern x3.
I wondered at first if this might be a second generation clouded yellow bred
at Bickershaw from the earlier influx in July, but on returning home I've seen
a few reports of other clouded yellows today at Ainsdale and Marshside, so
perhaps it's another wave coming in. In support of this possibility there was
the lesser emperor I found a few days ago and a couple of rush veneer moths
today at Bickershaw, plus reports of a few red-veined darters recently.
The photo above is a video grab of the butterfly which is still flying but
coming into land on the flower. Clouded yellows never hold their wings like
this when they are landed.
It may not be quite a beautiful as the clouded yellow but this is also a
migrant, rush veneer moth, one of two seen today.
This reed warbler was nice and showy on Nevison's. This is quite a late record
for me, I don't usually see them much past the end of August.
New Water looking good for waders at the moment. Yes disturbance could be an
issue, but I'm not completely convinced by that argument, I rarely see another
person here, and in any case, I refer you back to the white-tailed plover
which stuck it out here for two days. If that can, surely a green sandpiper or
something similar can?










No comments:
Post a Comment