Sunday, 27 September 2026

Cabranosa migration watch point


Cabranosa migration watch point is a small wooded hill a few miles north of Cape St Vincent at the south west extremity of Europe. Raptors in particular can be seen here in decent numbers, mainly juveniles which have overshot Gibraltar and which are then are forced to reorientate when they reach the Atlantic Ocean. 

Today I arrived at about 14:30 which was a little late in day, yet even so I managed to see a few booted eagles, marsh harriers and a single honey buzzard. Hopefully things will pick up during the rest of the week.   

There were also a few passerines around today including ortolan, redstart, northern wheatears, garden warbler and western supalpine warbler.


Honey buzzard.




Ortolan bunting.


Thekla larks are resident and endemic. There are just a handful of crested larks here.




By pure chance I booked this holiday at the same time as the Sagres Birdwatching Festival which is actually a much bigger event than I first imagined.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts