A lovely afternoon at Bickershaw produced just two species of dragonflies
around New Water, maybe 15 migrant hawkers and 20 common darters. No doubt I
could have added willow emerald and one or two other species had I gone to the
northern section but it really feels like the season is coming to an end now.
Not sure how many more visits I'll manage this year, but it's been a great
year with 23 species recorded on site.
I was delighted though to end the year with another four clouded yellows,
bringing my total to at least 18 individuals in 2026, in a season that
stretched from the first sighting on 15th July to today.
I'm pretty sure that this is the hoverfly Dasysyrphus tricinctus
which I have seen at Pennington Flash previously.
New Water looks like a fabulous habitat for waders at the moment, and remember this is the place where just over four years ago there was a white-tailed plover which stayed for nearly two days so it has form, but alas I rarely see any birds here, just the very occasional lapwing and a handful of black-headed gulls.








No comments:
Post a Comment