Sunday, 27 September 2026

Dotterel, saker and pallid harrier at Vale Santo


While I was at Cabranosa I got some advice from local birder Simon Wates on where too look for dotterel nearby and was delighted to find five birds. Then when I was heading back to my apartment I bumped into my informant again at the side of the road only to find that he was watching a putative saker which has been in the area for a few days. It looks really good to me, but falcons are as bad as ducks when it comes to escapees and hybridisation, so who knows? When the falcon finally flew it flushed a pallid harrier which was a very surreal moment to have the two flying together.


The dotterel all looked like adults to me. I don't think that I've ever actually seen adults at the time of year before, in the UK it's usually juveniles that I see in autumn.



Nice streaked underparts.



A nice cinnamon brown back with streaks on the underparts and a pale supercilium all seem like good features of saker to me. The only issue I have is that the trousers look pale, which I think is a feature of lanner.  That said, this bird was distant and against the setting sun and was photographed handheld on my phone so and there are other photos online of sakers with pale trousers so all of these things need to be taken into account.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts