Sunday, 27 September 2026

Striped dolphins on an impressive palagic from Sagres


It's not very often that I get a new species of cetacean anywhere these days, so I was delighted when we unexpectedly came across a pod of about 40 striped dolphins on a Ocean Safari cruise out of Sagres with marilimitado today. We were over the continental shelf and the ocean floor was 1000m (1km!) beneath us when these fabulous animals appeared. What gorgeous dolphins they are!

Also today, bottlenose dolphins and a great selection of seabirds, including hundreds of Cory's shearwaters, a few each if great and sooty shearwater, Wilson's and European storm petrels and a great skua.


Striped dolphins



The bottlenose dolphins were huge in comparison to the striped dolphins, almost twice the size. This one in particular was big.




Cory's shearwater.


Great shearwater, very reminiscent of the bird I saw off Skye last month. Except the temperature here was 20'C warmer....



Cory's with Cape St. Vincent in the back ground.


Spot the sooty!










Today's route.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts