Thursday 6 October 2022

Scandinavian blackbirds at the football pitch?


It's getting a bit desperate now, we're starting to claim migrant blackbirds! Migration on Barra this week has been non-existent and there's not much prospect of it improving in our final couple of days, so we'll take whatever we can get. 

Having struggled to add blackbird to our trip list at the start of the holiday, they now seem common and it appears that there has been an influx. I'm not sure what to make of them, a large proportion have black plumage with black bills which seems to indicate that they are Scandinavian blackbirds. I don't know how common these are in winter, probably pretty common, but I can't say that I've ever noticed a completely black blackbird with a black bill before. 

I can't find a lot of literature on the subject, but I'm told that they usually have a quite a scaley look and longer wings, so perhaps these don't quite fit the bill, certainly in terms of the scaliness. At the moment I'm just not certain.





Just to remind you, this is what an adult blackbird looks like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts