Wednesday 18 August 2021

Rose-coloured Starling, Stoer

Two days ago I stopped off at the tiny village of Stoer just north of Lochinver, hoping to see a rose-coloured starling that had been reported a few days earlier. I didn't see that bird but while I was looking a white-tailed eagle flew over low and provided some consolation. Today I returned and found the starling showing well on feeders in one of the gardens. Not a bad village list for me so far!

It's a rather bedraggled looking individual not helped by the dull, drizzly weather. At first I thought that it was an adult but I now consider it a 1st summer due to the brown rather than black nape.


Only my third 'adult' rose-coloured starling.


Later I went to the magnificent Point of Stoer and walked from the lighthouse to the Old Man hoping to see cetaceans but I was out of luck today, just the usual seabirds plus six twite.


It's a fabulous walk though, with some amazing seascapes, particularly to the north and east I thought.  


The Old Man of Stoer.


A day of squally showers, they hurtled through and didn't last for long but if you caught one they were enough to give you a good soaking. It's a wild and remote place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts