Thursday 19 August 2021

Bits and pieces from Inverpolly


I shouldn't really use the label "Bits and pieces from Inverpolly" when I'm talking about some of the most beautiful of British birds in one of the most spectacular parts of the country. Today I counted five black-throated and seven red-throated divers all in summer plumage on various lochs as I drove to Ullapool and back for my ferry trip. These really are up there amongst my favourite birds, completely different species to the winter plumage birds we see around the coast. I think you should get an extra tick for summer plumage divers. 

My very first trips to Inverpolly back in the 1970's were specifically to see these birds on their breeding grounds and they still give me a thrill to this day.


This is where I'm staying at the moment, the wonderful Acheninver Hostel near Achiltibuie, overlooking the Summer Isles. It's a bit of a treck to get here from Ullapool down 20 miles of single track roads, but it's well worth it.


That's my pod on the right.




 
Ben Mor Coigach


Inverpolly with Stac Pollaidh on the left.


Stac Pollaidh.


Suilven


Sunset over the Summer Isles from near Acheninver Hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts