Friday 20 August 2021

Stac Pollaidh


My last day in the beautiful North West Highlands and it was the best day of the lot for weather. Before today I hadn't seen much of the mountains here due to mist, low cloud or drizzle, but today it all cleared up and Inverpolly was revealed in all of it's glory.

When it's like this it truly can be described as the most beautiful and spectacular part of the UK and despite the large increase in tourists this year, virtually all of it is still remote and devoid of people. Today I decided to make the most of the weather and go to the place where I was likely to get the best views of all, the summit of Stac Pollaidh..... or to be more accurate, as close to the summit as I was prepared to go.   


Stac Pollaidh is not a very high mountain, at 612m, 2008 feet it's nowhere near the height needed to qualify as a Munro but it is a very spectacular mountain largely because it rises from relatively flat and low lying ground. The actual summit is a very difficult and dangerous scramble, one the the hardest in the UK apparently and is not a place that I am remotely interested in getting to. Fortunately there is a ridge just below the summit which allows incredible views which are good enough for me and most other people.


The eastern side of Stac Pollaidh.


The views to north over the heart of Inverpolly, with Suilven in the foreground and Quinag behind and to the left. That's Loch Sionasgaig in the foreground.


Looking north west I could see Point of Stoer with it's lighthouse on the left of the photo.


Looking north east Cul Mor with it's top in cloud is the highest of the mountains in this area. 


The western side of Stac Pollaidh.


To the south east, Loch Lurgain flanked by Cul Beag and Ben Mor Coigach.


To the south west, the Summer Isles.


To the south, Ben Mor Coigach with Loch Lurgain in the foreground.


The south side of Stac Pollaidh.


There is a plenty of alpine clubmoss on Stac Pollaidh.


Another common plant is alpine ladies mantle.


Mountain everlasting. I also found a couple of lesser twayblades on the western side but not flowering. I didn't see a lot of birds here today, just a few ravens, meadow pipits and wren, as well as a song thrush that kept running along the path in front of me rather than flying away.

2 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed the "trip". Never been there but with those views I could be tempted!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I can recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts