"The big one travels alone" they say, referring to the fact that very often
true megas don't arrive with flocks of other birds at peak migration times,
rather they're often alone, at unexpected times and often in unexpected
places. I could cite many examples of megas appearing long after migration
seems to have stopped, with June an exceptional month for this strange
phenomenon. Black lark, Cretzchmar's bunting, great knot, black-winged
pratincole, little bustard, Hudsonian whimbrel, Marmora's warbler, paddyfield
warbler (Hilbre), river warbler (Wigan Flashes), African royal tern,
short-toed eagle, white-tailed plover and spectacled warbler are just a few
birds that I can think of which I have seen in June over the years, and there
have been many others which I haven't bothered going for. I can now add
western reef heron to that list.
Last Saturday news broke that a western reef heron had been found at Foryd
Bay, just west of Caernarfon. It was a first for Britain and there was never
any doubt that I would go for it, especially with it being in North Wales,
but there was just one problem - I was in Slovenia at the time! I didn't get
home until midnight on Monday and there was no chance of me going on
Tuesday, so I just had to wait and hope that it would stay. It was still
there on Tuesday evening so at 3:30 on Wednesday I was up and by 4:15 I was
on the road.
I arrived at the hide at Foryd Bay just before 6:30 to find about 20 birders
already on site. Not exactly the huge crowd that I had expected but I
suppose most people who really wanted to see the bird would have already
been, especially since it had been found at midday on Saturday, giving
birders the opportunity to go Saturday afternoon or Sunday. At least it
meant that the anticipated parking problems did not materialise. There had
been no sightings up to that point so I had my breakfast and then had a 30
minute nap in the car. Wake me up when you find it guys!
By 8:30 there had still been no sightings and the first embers of doubt
started to creep into my mind. Had it gone? Surely I couldn't be that
unlucky? It wouldn't be the first time....
Suddenly I was awakened from my slumbers by a ping on my phone. A
message informed me that the bird was in the harbour at Caernarfon.
Everybody was now racing to their cars, a mass exodus from Foryd Bay was
taking place! Relieved yet also a little disappointed, I followed.
Twelve minutes later we pulled onto a car park right alongside the castle
and even more conveniently right alongside the harbour. There was already a
group of 30 birders at the bottom of the car park peering through telescopes
and more were arriving by the second. We were out of the car almost before
the engine had stopped and joined the growing masses.
And there it was. A gorgeous blue grey heron, about the same size as little
egret, with full breeding plumes, a white throat and a large bill. It was on
the opposite bank of the river about 75m away, with four little egrets and a
couple of grey herons, and was feeding actively on what looked like shrimps.
I noticed that it's colour seemed to change in the bright sunlight depending on the birds position, sometimes it was slate grey bordering on black, at other times it would turn it's body and looked more smokey blue. I guess the fact that it was in pristine breeding plumage added to this effect, almost like the iridescent head of a breeding plumage male mallard. It really was a stunning bird and so much more than just a dark grey heron.
I took time to reflect on the disappointment that I alluded to earlier, which stemmed from the fact that the bird was now at Caernarfon and I wasn't going to see it at Foryd Bay, where I'd had such a fabulous experience in January when I managed to relocate the drake bufflehead. Amazingly the bufflehead was my only other UK lifer so far this year, and the synchronicity of the two events appealed to my OCD mind. Two unrelated occurrences at a site that I hadn't been to for years providing me with potentially my only two UK lifers of the year. What's not to like?
However, on reflection Caernarfon harbour was a much better place for me to see the bird. Due to the width of the estuary the bird could never be any further away than about 100m, and here it was, a jewel of a bird wading around in the mirror like water of the estuary with the sun behind us, occasionally disappearing behind moored boats and yachts, wading through mud and seaweed with the imposing Caernarfon castle as a backdrop. Truly a sight that will live long in the memory.
The bird was about the same size as little egret but with a heavier bill,
especially at the base and it had yellow feet, just like little egret. This
bird is thought to be the West African race gularis. I've seen the
species previously in Kuwait and India where the race is schistacea.
We watched it for an hour and then moved on. Anglesey and South Stack were
calling. We spent the rest of the day watching seabirds on the cliffs and on
the sea. A great day!
Great to see it with breeding plumes.
Caernarfon castle, one of several built in Wales by Edward I in the 13th
century.

















No comments:
Post a Comment