Tuesday 10 January 2023

Kittiwake in Ramsdales


Timing is everything! It's been lashing it down all night and all morning here in sunny Leigh, so I decided to drive to the main car park at Pennington Flash and sit in the car for a while to see if I could read any more black-headed gull rings. No joy with that and to be honest I could barely open the car window the rain was so heavy. After half an hour I gave up and headed for home but for some reason drove past the turning and ended up at Green lane with the rain almost stopped but the sky still looking ominous. 

I quickly got my waterproofs on, grabbed my scope and brolly and scoped the flash from here. Immediately I saw an adult kittiwake in Ramsdales bay, but after just a few moments it flew up, headed towards Horrock's hide, turned back and then flew away high over the ruck and was gone. If I'd been 5 minutes later I'd have missed it, but perhaps it wasn't just luck or co-incidence, perhaps both myself and the bird had taken advantage of a window in the rain, and seeing it was more down to the fact that I'd had the enthusiasm and opportunity to go to the flash on a day like this. As I type, the rain is bouncing down again. 

The photo is of the last kittiwake I saw at the flash, nearly three years ago. It was clearly a much nicer day than today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts