Thursday, 1 October 2026

An improved raptor passage at Carbonosa


My daily routine now includes an afternoon visit to Carbonosa watch point. It's not been as good as it could have been but even so I usually see a decent number of raptors, plus a few good migrant and resident passerines so enough to make me keep going back. It's always worth a visit and today I was back again to spend the best part of four hours staring at the sky, waiting and hoping. 

Once again I wasn't disappointed as this afternoon was the best day of the week so far, with nine booted eagles, four honey buzzards, two peregrines, goshawk, hen harrier, several kestrels, four sparrowhawks and best of all, two Egyptian vultures, two black kites and a single Bonelli's eagle. Sadly I managed to miss five short-toed eagles which were seen just before I arrived. Now if we could just turn some of those numbers into double figures we'd be rocking as they say. Maybe tomorrow.

Passerines included my first Iberian grey shrike of the trip, a couple of whinchats, redstart, Thekla larks and the usual azure-winged magpies.


Juvenile Bonelli's eagle. Same bird as at the top of the post.


Black kites.


Booted eagle.


Egyptian vulture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts