Thursday, 8 October 2026

Back with the ringers at Vilamoura


I joined up again with ringing team at Parque Abiental, Vilamoura this morning, and glad I did as they came up with some great birds and a great story. Highlights today were several white-spotted bluethroats, a quail and penduline tit. 

Most amazing of all though, on Monday I watched as a member of the team extracted a blackcap from a mist net. The bird had a BTO (UK) ring and I noticed that the ringer seemed to recognise the ring. Turns out that the bird was ringed by him in the UK in the midlands! What are the chances? For both him and the bird to arrive at Vilamoura at the same time and for him to be the one who takes it out of the net! The bird must be sick of the sight of him! Just incredible.


Anyway, these bluethroats are smart birds, almost as nice from behind as they are from the front. Perhaps orangetails would be a better name for them. 


This quail was most unexpected.



I've seen a few Iberian chiffchaffs in the UK but the identification has always been based on the song. It was great to see one ringed and have the ringer explain to me why it was Iberian and not common chiffchaff.



I was delighted to see my first penduline tit since the one I found at Pennington Flash in 2022. This is an adult female.



This kingfisher was an unexpected trap for me but not for the team, it proved to be a retrap.



Western subalpine warbler. Pity about the shadow.


Sedge warbler.


Sardinian warbler.


Ringing headquarters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts