Friday, 9 October 2026

A walk around the garden


In fact even before I went for my walk I spotted this hoopoe on the ground about 5m from me as I sat at my table eating my lunch. I don't think I've ever seen one quite so confiding! When I did finally drag myself away from this wonderful bird and also the flock of azure-winged magpies that were noisily flying around the stone pines, I had a walk down to view the saltmarsh from the end of the garden. On my way an osprey flew over then a spoonbill, and two zitting cisticolas were in the long grass. A swallowtail butterfly flew past and there were several red-veined darters darting about.

On the marsh I was delighted to find only my second curlew sandpiper of the holiday, plus 40 dunlin, 50 redshank, several greenshank, 26 ringed plover, 6 turnstones, 6 grey plover and singles of various other waders.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts