Friday, 21 August 2026

Willow emerald completes the set at Bickershaw


With the summer rapidly drawing to a close, bringing more unsettled weather, the pressure was on if I was to complete the set of odonata at Bickershaw in 2026. I mean, how many more suitable days will there be for dragonfly watching this year, especially since I have a holiday to Scotland approaching soon which will take out a sizeable slice of the available time. So today, with a bright sunny afternoon forecast, albeit 15 degrees Celsius, cooler than it was a couple of weeks ago, I decided that it was an opportunity to seek out the last remaining species on my personal site list that was missing so far this year.

Since I started visiting the site in June 2025, I've managed to record what I think is an amazing 24 species of dragonfly and damselfly. The only one of those 24 species that I hadn't managed to see this year was willow emerald, a late summer and early autumn species. Last year we saw it on a small pond near Fir Tree flash and later on the stock pond in the north of the site. 


Frustratingly when I arrived at the small pond today, the sun was behind a cloud and there was nothing flying so I continued to the stock pond. Miraculously when I reached the stock pond the sun was out again and almost immediately I managed to see this stunning willow emerald perched on exactly the same tree where we saw them last year. What a fantastic looking damselfly this is and easy to recognise, being obviously larger than common emerald (up to 4.8cm long) with no large patches of blue in the abdomen, pale pterostigmas (the rectangular patches at the end of the wing) and a prominent spur like mark projecting into the cream on the side of the thorax.

So that's it, if I'm to add to my total for this year I'll have to find something new for the site. Red-veined darter springs to mind, or possibly scarce blue-tailed damselfly. 


Also today, another clouded yellow butterfly which is at least the 13th I have seen at Bickershaw this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts