It's easy to forget that I saw my first small red-eyed damselflies just last year. This year they seem to be everywhere,
even in the crane pen at Martin Mere! This pair were at the stock pond, Bickershaw.
Last year we failed to find ruddy darter at Bickershaw but there's been quite a few so far this year.
A very matt looking black darter...... probably. Showing no yellow, if I didn't know better I'd think that this might actually be a very dark ruddy darter, but I think that the eye colour lets it down in that respect.
This is the black darter that I saw a couple of days ago. Note how extensive the yellow is and also how glossy it looks compared to todays specimen.
Common hawker.
This has got to be the nicest speckled wood I've ever seen, like a different species when compared to the grotty individuals that I usually see.







No comments:
Post a Comment