Monday 12 June 2023

Rufous female cuckoo and a thunderstorm


I called in briefly at the flash this afternoon on my way to do the weekly shop and saw first a rufous female cuckoo fly over Horrock's followed by a little egret.


Everytime we have extreme weather conditions I feel that there's a possibility that something good may drop onto the flash. This evening we had the most dramatic of thunderstorms, the sky went black and the heavens opened. I was next to Horrock's hide which of course was closed because it's never open when I need it, and it was like standing under a waterfall. Suddenly the sky lit up as lightening bolts flashed across the heavens, two, three at a time, one to the south, another over the ruck and seconds later the ground shook with great claps of thunder. 

At times it was like looking through mist, especially close to the surface of the water where often all I could see were the heads of mallard and grebes bobbing along the surface. Out of the mist came a black tern which flew right past me and then was gone, never to be seen again, but just the kind of bird I was hoping for. To be honest there could have been other stuff there but it was just so difficult to view in the conditions. After an hour I gave up and headed home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts