Friday 2 June 2023

Red kite, black terns and a turnstone at the flash


I find it slightly ironic that as this morning progressed and I reported black terns and turnstone at Pennington Flash, a real flash mega went completely unreported by the bird services. I was at the boat club and heard a commotion overhead and looking up saw a magnificent red kite quite low down. It slowly circled higher and higher and eventually drifted off north.

This was my second red kite at the flash, the first was almost six years ago to the day in 2017, yet I don't know of any other birders who have seen the species here. 




I dashed back from Lincoln this morning hoping that yesterdays black tern bonanza would be repeated, when a whopping 27 black terns were present. Even the day before there had been 11 birds, but sadly there were no double figure counts today, though five at least remained to console me. What a spring it's been at the flash, around 120 little gulls on a single day in April and 27 black terns yesterday. Can any other site in the UK, let alone north west England, match those figures? If they can I've not heard about it. Also today a summer plumage turnstone was on the spit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts