Tuesday 18 April 2023

An evening Night Heron on the Calder


Hot on the heels of the alpine swift influx of recent weeks came an arrival of night herons into the country, with several places holding one or two birds, whilst one place in Ireland had nine individuals!

The River Calder at Ossett, West Yorkshire has had two, though it appears that only one has been seen in recent days. I've been keeping half an eye on them wondering if I might get chance to call in and I finally took the plunge this evening on my way to Lincoln. The late evening sunlight shone right onto the bird which was good and bad in equal measure. Good because I arrived only 40 minutes before sunset and if it had been dull and cloudy it would have been a very unsatisfactory view, but bad because it was very bright and harsh for photography. My sixth night heron in the UK but the first for six years.


I watched it for half an hour before continuing on my way to Lincoln and in all that time it pretty much struck the same pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts