Thursday 24 November 2022

Slim pickings at the Flash


November has been an exceptional month at the Flash, with penduline tit a county first, marsh harrier a site first for me and a couple of really smart adult Caspian and yellow-legged gulls into the roost in the evenings. However all of these great birds added up to a combined total of about 20 minutes birding, the penduline tit for example was on show for five minutes, which is not a lot when compared to the average of four hours a day I've spent at the Flash for 17 days so far this month. For much of the rest of the time it's tough and repetitive, getting soaked and wading through mud, seeing the same birds day after day. 

Whilst a great reward for all of the hard work, in some respects finding a bird such as the penduline tit makes it worse because it makes me feel like I've now used up all of my luck for a while. I mean what are the chances of finding another good bird in the near future?

Anyway, today it was just a routine visit, 13 each of goldeneye and pochard, plus the drake mandarin at Plank Lane marina.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts