Sunday 27 June 2021

Highfield Moss


I called in at Highfield Moss SSSI today, which is just behind the Travelers Rest inn at Lowton. It's a good site for many species of plant which are otherwise scarce in the area and is particularly noted for having a declining population of marsh gentians. Today I was surprised to find sheep's-bit in flower. This is the first time I have seen this plant at the site and as far as I know it's the first site record, it's certainly not noted in the SSSI designation for the site. It's also the first time I have seen this species in Greater Manchester. 

It's not all good news though, I failed to find the petty whin which I had gone to see and the site looks really degraded to me, the sphagnum has been trampled and obliterated in many places and dogs allowed to crash into the water, which has caused lots of damage.

A few years ago I wrote a blog post about the Moss, A Natural History of Highfield Moss, Lowton


Sheep's-bit.


Sheep's-bit leaves.


Erica tetralix


Heath bedstraw


Lousewort

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts