Friday 20 September 2019

Red-necked Phalarope, Marshside


Dave contacted me this morning regarding a red-necked phalarope which he had just found at Marshside, Southport. He also mentioned an amazing count of cattle egrets and since I was eager to see both I headed out that way just before lunch. It's always a pleasure to see any species of phalarope, but red-necked in particular is a special bird. Not a common bird either, there was a time when I'd actually seen more Wilson's in the UK than red-necked but Wilson's records have dried up a bit in recent years whereas red-necked just about keeps trickling through. This was actually my second red-necked phalarope this year, following an adult summer plumage female near Hadrians Wall in late spring. Even so, in 40+ years birding I've seen more pectoral sandpipers than red-necked phalaropes which is surprising perhaps given that the former is a transatlantic vagrant from North America whereas the latter is a European breeding bird with a few pairs still clinging on in Scotland.



The light was pretty shocking while I was watching the phalarope, but my new phone scoping setup seems to be reaping rewards. I'm not saying that they are award winning photos, but they're a big improvement on what I was getting and I'm happy enough with them.





Here's a short and shaky video of the bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts