Wednesday 24 July 2019

Across to Morvern


Such was the late notice for this job that Mull was completely fully booked by the time we got round to booking accommodation and one night on Tobermory was all I could get. I ended up staying on the mainland in Drimnin estate about 11 miles from the ferry terminal at Lochaline which takes you across to Fishnish on Mull. It was a great experience though, all the better for the fact that I'd never been to Morvern before, and such a remote spot.



The Lochaline to Fishnish ferry.


Drimnin "jetty". My satnav kept insisting that I could get a car ferry from here to Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, but believe me you can't. I think that there may be an occasional foot passenger ferry to Tobermory but there is certainly no car ferry. I saw an otter fishing here early one morning.



Caisteal nan Con on the Sound of Mull with the CalMac ferry on its way to Barra.


Caisteal nan Con.


The Sound of Mull. There were many Manx shearwaters in the Sound, I counted several from here and around 200 from the Oban - Craignure ferry on Monday. Also lots of terns and a few gannets.


There are some fabulous woodlands here which are home to Scottish wildcat and pine marten, not that I saw any, despite being assured by the landlady at the B&B that one was regular in the garden and despite me staying up with a wee dram or two watching until well past midnight on both nights, and despite me getting up early and walking through the woodlands before breakfast. Oh well, something for next time.


There were lots of golden-ringed dragonflies on the wing and also plenty of Scotch Argus butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts