Friday 26 July 2019

Glen Coe and Rannoch Moor


In many respects the first hour or two of the journey home from Strontian was possibly the most scenically stunning part of the whole week. The first part of the journey took me along the northern shore of Loch Linnhe to the Corran ferry, a five minute crossing but which cuts out many miles of torturous roads, beautiful no doubt, but not when you already have a seven hour drive in front of you. I then crossed the bridge at North Ballachulish and approached Glen Coe....



There are few more spectacular places in the British Isles than Glen Coe, yet it's a place which I have barely covered, as today I'm usually just driving through on my way elsewhere. At this spot I had a golden eagle flying overhead.


Golden eagle.




The blanket bog here is just wonderful and surely has many interesting species. Apart from the usual common bog plants, the best I could manage today was an invert, the hoverfly Volucella bombylans, a bumble bee mimic.




Rannoch Moor is a blanket bog par excellence, with a myriad of bog pools and surely home to many dragonflies including northern emerald.


Corran ferry across Loch Linnhe. It's a 5 minute crossing but if this ferry wasn't here it would add an extra 42 miles or 1 hour 15 minutes to the journey! There were three black guillemots here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts