Friday 13 November 2015

Roa Island, Cumbria

I don't think I even knew that Roa Island existed up to a about 18 months ago when we called in to see a Black Brant on the saltmarsh there. I was back again today and it's a really impressive place.  There were thousands of wigeon offshore over the high tide, at least 120 brent geese and around 600 eider, as well as a decent selection of waders. Most of the eider were roosting on nearby Foulney Island.

There were clearly brent geese of both races but I didn't have either the time nor the inclination to determine how many of each, though I would estimate a 60/40 split in favour of the dark-bellied race.


Piel Castle (left) and Roa Island.


Plenty of brent geese and wigeon, but also note the white dots of eiders on the far bank. This was one of three roosting flocks on Foulney island, as well as quite a few on the sea.


Eider


Quite a dramatic high tide.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts