Tuesday 4 August 2015

Arctic stunner, Pennington Flash

There was a wonderful 2nd sum Sabine's gull on Pennington Flash today. It spent all day from at least 9:15 to 17:45 close inshore with black-headed gull near Horrock's hide. At one stage I had it hovering about 1m away from me. I could have reached out and touched it! A stunning bird and a stunning experience. The Med gull was also still around and even once shared a photo with its High Arctic cousin. A strange pair to see together!


The yellow tip to the bill is obvious on most of these photos. I love the grey hood with black border. Stunning bird! I've seen a few Sabine's gulls, but this is the best by far, and is almost as remarkable a record the two Leach's petrels I've seen on the Flash in recent years.Found by Bill Harrison who also found an August adult summer plumage Sabine's gull on Prescot reservoirs a few years ago.


At first glance it might look a bit black-headed gull like, but when it flaps those wings there's no mistaking it.






From the left, Mediterranean gull, black-headed gull and Sabine's gull.


I didn't realise they were such a small gull.



Sabine's gull twitch. Even Lee Evans turned up.



Mediterranean gull.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts