Pages

▼

Monday, 5 October 2026

Parque Abiental, Vilamoura


It was still dark at 06:45 when I arrived at Parque Abiental, Vilamoura. The reason for the early start was because I knew that there was a  Bird Ringing Group on site and I was hoping to spend some time with them to see what they caught. In the end I didn't need to be there quite so early but my reward was that I was in the hide at dawn when the egrets and ibis left their roost, and I also managed to see some nice birds at first light, such as two little bitterns flying around chasing each other. A really enjoyable morning.


Nightingale, a new species for me in Portugal.


Western subalpine warbler.


Grasshopper warbler, another new species for me in Portugal.


Garden warbler.


I watched this black-winged kite eating something at the top of this tree before eventually flying off.







Little bittern at dawn. There were two of them flying around chasing each other for a minute before one settled here. I'm always amazed at how tiny they are.


Purple gallinules just after dawn! I've seen a few purple gallinules on this trip, but not as many as I expected based on previous experience.


Egrets and ibis leaving their roost at dawn. I counted about 300 birds, split three ways, glossy ibis, cattle egrets and little egrets.





There maybe more, click to find out >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment