Pages

▼

Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Fiddler crabs at the bottom of the garden


For the second week of my trip to Portugal, I've moved from Sagres and am now staying in Montnegro, right near the airport. The reason for staying here is it's quite central for everything and is right in the middle of the Ria Formosa nature reserve.....and my apartment really is in the middle of the nature reserve, as I discovered yesterday afternoon.

I was back at the apartment for 3pm following an early morning and after a chill with a cup of tea I decided to have a walk around the garden. I started a checklist on eBird and set off. When I go back to the apartment the eBird tracker told me that I'd walked just over half a mile (0.8km)!  Think about that. Half a mile walk around the garden.... and there were bits I couldn't get to because of the saltmarsh. Yes the garden includes an area of saltmarsh. You might have hedgehogs in your garden. These people have fiddler crabs! The garden also has a stone pine woodland, an acacia woodland, a few cork oaks and a sandy heath area, plus wide open views over Ria Formosa. Quite honestly it could be a nature reserve. I've never stayed at a place quite like this.


I recorded 36 species in or over the garden today, including a few greater flamingos, three spoonbills and seven white storks. Highlight though was this wonderful western subalpine warbler.




Two booted eagles flew over.


At least two spotted flycatchers in the garden, also a single pied.


All of the following photos are within the garden, except this one which is a view of the estuary and saltmarsh taken from the garden. 












There maybe more, click to find out >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment