Wednesday 14 August 2024

Tree pipits at Billinge Hill


About 10 years ago I had a spell of birding at Billinge Hill on a regular basis but when I left St Helens I stopped going. Even now though, it's only about five miles from home and with Autumn rapidly approaching I've decided that it's time to reacquaint myself with the place, since it's easily the best site in St Helens for a bit of birding vismig.  

August is a good month to start because it gives you the opportunity to experience the late summer movement of tree pipits without too much difficulty, but I was going to leave it until next week rather than risk visiting too early on a really quiet day and instantly risk loosing my enthusiasm. 

That all changed at the weekend though when I heard reports of 400 tree pipits moving past a site in Scotland and another 100 further south. I decided that it was time for at least a reconnaissance visit.

Thankfully I hit the jackpot on my first visit yesterday and managed to find two tree pipits, one a flyover bird which was calling, the second a very obliging bird on the wires just below the beacon. It's not the first time that I've seen tree pipits on wires at Billinge Hill so it wasn't totally unexpected but still a great way to kick start what I hope may be a productive autumn.

Buoyed on by a great first visit I went again this morning and added a further three tree pipits, two on the wires and another flyover.


I have no problem with identifying tree pipits which are on territory singing or migrants that fly over calling, but find one on the ground, or in this case on a wire, and it can be a different story.  They do look very similar to meadow pipit but there are subtle differences.

The first thing that draws my attention to a bird on the wire is what I think is a distinctive jizz. They look almost like a miniature song thrush, and have a chunky slightly upturned bill which is deep based. On closer inspection the bird has fine streaks on the flanks, contrasting with the heavier breast streaking, a white belly and most importantly the short, curved hind claw which is diagnostic. The latter is perhaps the most important feature but is difficult to see in the field so worth trying to get a photo if possible.


These next two images where taken today and are of the same bird, in the same position, taken within seconds of each other. Notice the colour difference!


...but also notice the short, curved hind claw.


Billinge Hill beacon is the most elevated position in Merseyside, rising to a height of 179m (587 ft).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts