Thursday 10 August 2023

Beinn Eighe


We chose the hottest day of he holiday to attempt the most difficult walk so far, the Beinn Eighe mountain trail in temperatures of 27'C. It was tough going but well worth it for the spectacular views. Of course the trail barely reaches the mountain itself, which is pictured above, in fact it's little more than a foothill but still very spectacular. Beinn Eighe towers above Loch Maree to a height of 1010m (3313ft), and was the first National Nature Reserve in the UK.

It's long been a favourite of mine since I first visited the area with my dad in 1979. Not that I've ever climbed the mountain itself, I've never gone further than the mountain trail.


Caledonian pine woodland on the lower slopes of the walk.




Loch Maree.



There's plenty of Scotch argus butterflies on the wing at the moment.


In the early 1980s I came here with my dad and did this walk for the first time. It was a long drive from home to Gairloch, nearly 9 hours, and at the time dad had this thing about driving in slippers because he thought it was more comfortable. Unfortunately it was only when we got to our accommodation that he realised that he hadn't brought any other type of footwear! We were staying in a pretty remote spot which at the time wasn't particularly geared up for tourism and nipping to a walking shop to buy boots wasn't an easy option. So he elected to wear the slippers for the entire holiday, which you've guessed it, included taking this walk. At the time I was about 20 and it didn't really register with me how difficult (or fool hardy) that was. Today I'm around the same age that my dad was at the time and I've no idea how he managed it. The first part of the walk after leaving the woodland was very difficult over scree and loose rock, and over jagged quartz. I can't imagine how his feet coped in slippers but manage it he did and we completed the full walk. Anyway, I only relate this story out of interest and nostalgia, I'm not for one moment suggesting that it wasn't a crazy thing to do or recommending this course of action to others. Please don't try it!








A well earned pint in Gairloch after a strenuous walk!



This was Skye this morning, looking across the Minch from Peterburn. A much quieter day for cetaceans, with just two Minke whales and three common dolphins this morning. This evening dolphins were in double figures, but midges numbered trillions and I was covered in them so quickly abandoned the watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts