Friday 26 May 2023

Worlds End


Today I had an early morning job near Wrexham, early meaning start work at 5am. By 8:30 I was finished and made the short 6 mile journey to World's End.  I knew that I was too late in the day for any remnants of the dawn black grouse lek which in any case I usually go to in late March or early April, but I was still quite early in the morning and there's always a chance of a flying bird or perhaps a distant view of one in amongst the heather. 

Above all it was just great to be out in a place like this on such a beautiful morning and I took one of the footpaths across the moors. Sure enough after a short while a male black grouse flew up from the side of the path and circled around me before coming down again deep in the heather. There were also a few red grouse around including a female with chicks at the side of the road, cuckoos were calling and occasionally seen, usually pursued by irate skylarks or meadow pipits. Plenty of stonechats around also.




Why did the red grouse chick cross the road? To eat some grit.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts