Friday 2 December 2022

From the East Hoyle Bank


I walked out for a mile onto the East Hoyle bank from Hoylake, and for a while I wondered if it was going to be worthwhile because it was misty verging on foggy. However, when I got to the edge of the sea it started to clear and I could see plenty of birds and a few surprises. 

There were at least 20 gannets diving into the sea, mainly adults, and these were the first that I have ever seen in the UK in December. Then I saw gulls chasing what even from distance could only be a skua and it was coming towards me! Eventually it came close enough to be identifiable as a juvenile pomarine skua. I have seen this species before in December, most memorably a bird hunting over the marsh on the inland side of the coast road at Marshside on 30th December 1994. More recently there was also a bird at Cocker's Dyke, Pilling on 17th January 2015, and pomarine is by far the most likely skua in mid-winter. 

On the sea there were at least 1000 common scoter, 20 great crested grebes and two red-throated divers. 



Hilbre Island from East Hoyle Bank.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts