Monday 19 December 2022

Bewick's swans, Rainford


On my way to Burscough today I took a last minute decision to go down the Rainford bypass rather than through the roadworks on the M6 which was the way my SAT NAV suggested. Glad I did because just near Mossborough roundabout I spotted two swans in a field which immediately looked suspicious.
 
Fortunately there was a layby coming up which I pulled into and got the scope out. My suspicions were correct, two adult Bewick's swans which so far as I can tell are the first St Helens record for 17 years and a St Helens tick for me, bringing my total for the borough to 196 species. 

I didn't know it at the time that I first saw them, but the birds had apparently been present all day.






1 comment:

  1. Nice bit of Serendipity there. Long time since Bewicks reached Northern Ireland, too mild!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts