Friday 14 January 2022

Black Grouse lek


It was a cold and frosty morning with not a breath of wind and since I was in the area I thought that I would take a slight detour and visit a black grouse lek in North Wales. I arrived about 20 minutes before sunrise and almost immediately saw grouse at the lek site. I watched them from the car for the next 30 minutes or so and counted at least 15 males.

I love watching these leks, the air is full of hissing and cooing noises and the birds run around the lek site chasing other males. There's private battles going on everywhere until eventually for some reason not obvious to me one will turn tail and run with it's opponent in hot pursuit. That's not the end of it though, one or both birds often spot other birds and join battle with them. I don't know how the winners are determined, but presumably it's obvious to the usually unseen females.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts