Wednesday 23 September 2020

Claonaig ferry, Mull of Kintyre


I called in at Claonaig ferry about 10 miles north of my campsite this morning, on my way to my job near Tarbert. I was amazed to see these two otters asleep on the rocks about 3m below where I was standing and completely oblivious to my presence. I suppose that I could have got myself a once in a lifetime photo if I'd made a noise and woken them, but I decided that they looked peaceful and there was really no need to disturb them.




Later I did see them swimming and fishing, but much further away.


Also on the loch today, at least 11 black throated divers, three great northern and three red-throated, plus my first black guillemots of the trip and at least 12 harbour porpoise. Groups of black-throated divers such as this are a feature of the west coast of Scotland at this time of year, last year I saw a group of 16 in Applecross Bay in late summer and on 31/08/2017 I saw a total of 88 birds in six groups between Loch Ewe and Gairloch. 


I don't think that I've seen red-throated diver in such tight knit groups.



The isle of Arran.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts