Tuesday 21 July 2020

Comet Neowise over the back garden


With feet firmly planted on my lawn I added the comet Neowise to the garden list last night. It may be 64 million miles away and traveling at 144,000 mph but distance doesn't matter, I was standing in the garden so it's on the list.

Apparently this comet was only discovered on 27th March 2020 which is slightly alarming!



These photos were taken on my Google Pixel phone and through my birding telescope which is obviously not ideal when photographing objects 64 million miles away in the universe. The reason why the comet and the stars look like short lines rather than circular objects or dots is that I took the comet photos on night mode which takes about 1 minute to take the photo and in that time everything has moved slightly. The photo below was taken on normal mode and everything looks a bit sharper.

The comet is a nice green colour which I assumed was a result of my poor quality camera and/or the affect of light pollution, but actually it's since been explained to me that the colour is in fact correct and is to do with the sun's energy interacting with carbon nitrogen bonds in the comet's structure. Whatever that means! 


Jupiter and four of its 79 moons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts