Tuesday 24 March 2020

The deserted flash


So now I've got Pennington Flash almost to myself, except for the birds. I've only got about 45 minutes to see as much as I can before I must head back home to meet the criteria of the COVID-19 restrictions, but it gives me some exercise, helps me avoid cabin fever and allows me to at least keep half an eye on what's happening at the flash during these unique times of virtually no human disturbance. Who knows, I might just see something good! I'm going to report what I see here because some people may be interested and if it helps anybody get through the day even for a few minutes it's worth it, but unfortunately I won't be reporting any national or county rarities which I may see until they have either gone or the restrictions are lifted.

Today there was lots of bird song with at least 4 Cetti's warblers singing, several chiffchaffs, 3 blackcaps and many song thrush, blackbirds and robins etc. Highlight of the visit was a flock of over 200 sand martins.

Sand martin 200
Redshank 2
Wigeon 4
Shelduck 2
Cetti's warbler 4
Snipe 5
Goosander 4
Chiffchaff 6 singing males
Blackcap 3 singing males



Pennington Flash runway, previously known as the car park.


Two of my favourite early spring flowers, Coltsfoot and Marsh Marigold.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts