Monday 24 December 2018

The return of X106


Redgate recycling centre at Gorton, Manchester has been getting some decent gulls recently so I decided to call in today. A 3rd winter Caspian gull which has been seen over the past few days bearing a yellow leg ring X106 is the same bird that was at Pennington Flash this time last year, and which was originally seen at Heaton Park and later at Shaw.



X106 at Pennington Flash December 2017 as a 2nd winter bird.


X106, Pennington Flash December 2017.


Juvenile Iceland Gull.


Juvenile Iceland Gull.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Colin, I recently saw Caspian Gull X106 at Redgate Recycling. After submitting the sighting to the ringer and receiving the history I noticed there were a number of gaps based on other sightings I knew about. I was wondering if you could tell me the exact date it was seen at Pennington in 2017? Just so I can send the sighting off. Cheers, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, I don't have an email address for you, but the Caspian gull at Pennington flash was found by John Tymon on 11th December 2017. You should be aware that we could not read the ring, but it was assumed to be X106 based on age, jizz, the fact that it had a ring and the timing (it fitted in nicely with other local records of x106 elsewhere in GM). So far as I am aware, only myself and John saw it at the flash and we could not read the ring. As you can see in the photos, conditions were not ideal.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts