Friday 3 November 2017

It begins....... the Pennington Flash gull roost


I told myself that I might not do the gull roost at Pennington Flash this winter, at least not until the New Year. After all, I reasoned, I did do it a lot at the start of the year and saw lots of good stuff such as glaucous gull, two Iceland gulls, yellow-legged gulls and several Mediterraneangulls. I'd done my bit, so why put myself through it again?  Then I got a text off John Tymon saying that he was in Green Lane for the roost and I just couldn't help myself. All of the old triggers kicked in and before I had chance to put up a convincing arguement I found myself pulling up in Green Lane and unloading the telescope from the car. Perhaps I wouldn't see anything, and perhaps a negative experience would put me off for a while.

No such luck, within minutes John had found a pristine adult yellow-legged gull, and after watching it for a few minutes I reluctantly started to scan the rest of the roost and was aghast to find a near summer pumage adult Mediterranean gull with a speckly head. A few minutes later I had also found a 1st winter Med Gull. Nightmare, that's me hooked for the rest of the winter now. Still, it is one of the great birding spectacles, and it is only 5 minutes drive from home, so perhaps I shouldn't complain too much.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts