Friday 23 September 2016

Pectoral sandpipers at Marshside

Pectoral sandpipers have always been one of my favourite waders so I was delighted to see not one, but two juveniles showing well on the pools near the sewage works at the north end of the reserve. Pretty impressive numbers of other birds around as well, including a few hundred black-tailed godwits and around 1000 pink-footed geese, plus the long staying cattle egret.

Year: 244 (Pectoral sandpiper, though not todays birds. I also saw one at Martin Mere on Tuesday.)





Although I've seen lots of pectoral sandpipers over the years, this was the first time I have seen more than a single bird.


Ruff, pec sand and teal.


Cattle egret with prey.



This ruff was colour ringed. I've reported it to the Euring website and await the outcome.


Marshside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts