Pages

▼

Sunday, 20 September 2026

Observations of red-throated divers from the Great Orme


The highlight of a walk around the Great Orme today was a couple of red-throated divers close inshore about 1km east of the lighthouse. One was clearly an adult in summer plumage, the other a juvenile with what I thought was a surprising amount of red on the throat.


It was a treat to see, and hear, the interactions of these birds, with the youngster (the bird on the right) constantly begging from the adult. 


I'm not sure that I've ever seen a juvenile red-throated diver adopt this begging posture before. Both birds dived while I watched, but I don't know how successful either were, I certainly didn't see the adult feed the youngster. Apparently it's quite unusual for juveniles to continue to be fed once they leave their breeding grounds, but not unprecedented.


It's not unusual for juveniles to show some red on their throats but this seems a bit more extensive than usual to me. Perhaps I just don't see enough juveniles.



The adult was a very nice bird. 









There maybe more, click to find out >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment