Pages

▼

Wednesday, 23 September 2026

End of the season at Bickershaw


A lovely afternoon at Bickershaw produced just two species of dragonflies around New Water, maybe 15 migrant hawkers and 20 common darters. No doubt I could have added willow emerald and one or two other species had I gone to the northern section but it really feels like the season is coming to an end now. Not sure how many more visits I'll manage this year, but it's been a great year with 23 species recorded on site. 


I was delighted though to end the year with another four clouded yellows, bringing my total to at least 18 individuals in 2026, in a season that stretched from the first sighting on 15th July to today.




I'm pretty sure that this is the hoverfly Dasysyrphus tricinctus which I have seen at Pennington Flash previously.


New Water looks like a fabulous habitat for waders at the moment, yet once again there wasn't a bird on it. I don't think that the problem is disturbance, I rarely see another person here and the water is large enough for a bird such as a sandpiper to fly a short distance to safety. There's not even ducks, gulls, moorhens or coots. I've now visited Bickershaw on 46 occasions and the sum total of waders comes to lapwing 10, little ringed plover 1 and most bizarrely, white-tailed plover 1.  



There maybe more, click to find out >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment