Friday 5 January 2024

Lunt Meadows


One my way home (sort of) from Martin Mere, I  stopped off for what was meant to be a quick visit to Lunt Meadows, in order to see a green-winged teal which has been around for a week or two. In the end there was so much happening that I stayed a couple of hours until dusk. 


As well as the green-winged teal, this Richardson's cackling goose was with the Canada goose flock. It arrived about 10 days ago, but whether it was carried here by the local pink-feet and then joined up with the Canada's or just escaped from a local collection we'll never know. It occurred to me that it might be the same bird that was with greylags and then Canada's at Lightshaw flash and then briefly Pennington Flash a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can match it to that bird when I get chance, but certainly it doesn't appear to be the bird which was at Marshside in January 2022 and which was accepted as wild by BBRC. For one thing, the white face patch is a very different shape.


Smart bird!


As dusk approached, several marsh harriers came in to roost and they were joined by this wonderful male hen harrier. There was also a barn owl hunting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts