Tuesday 19 September 2023

Juvenile arctic tern and a late hobby, Pennington Flash


Another good early morning at the flash in poor weather. First off there was a juvenile arctic tern sitting on a rock at the far end of the spit. These are always a delight to see, being so much daintier and prettier than juvenile common terns. The bird stayed there for about 20 minutes before being disturbed by a clumsy passing cormorant, at which point it flew up high and headed south.

Then I turned my scope on  the boat club. I didn't have time to head over there today but I wanted to check if the common sandpiper was still about and extending it's record late date at the flash. Sure enough I could see it bobbing around in amongst the coots and mute swans. It's now been present for five days. 

Suddenly I saw a gull having a go at a falcon which turned out to be a hobby, amazingly my first at the flash this year, though they have been reported with some regularity by others. I mustn't have be paying attention. It was heading east and just shot through, over my head and gone, no doubt my last hobby of the year.




Nice pure white underwing and diagnostic fine dark line on the primaries.


Not a great photo but I love the translucent primaries.



There's been a decent number of snipe hanging around the spit for a few days now, but usually most of them are only visible when they fly up for some reason. However today they showed nicely albeit a little distant. About 25 I estimated but it's hard to be sure. They kept popping up everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts