Thursday 2 February 2023

Martin Mere


I called in at Martin Mere this afternoon for another look at the warblers at the sewage works. At least one Siberian chiffchaff showed well and a couple of collybita (common) chiffchaffs including a singing bird. The yellow-browed warbler was calling seemingly quite close for several minutes but I couldn't see it, which was ironic because on the other three occasions that I have looked for it I've managed to see it but only heard it once and very briefly.


These Siberian chiffchaffs are cracking birds, with pale plumage and jet black legs, very different to the collybita birds when you see them together. They also have a thin piping bullfinch like call, unlike the "huweet" call of collybita birds.


What I'd like to know is, how come when it's a yellow-browed warbler, or even a penduline tit, does my camera focus on he branches yet when it's a Siberian chiffchaff I apparently don't have any problems focusing on the bird?


Also on the reserve today a great white egret, little egret and at least four marsh harriers.


Earlier I called in briefly at Banks marsh where the highlight was two Bewick's swans which flew over and headed inland north east, and this drake red-breasted merganser. At least five great white egrets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts