Monday 13 June 2022

Rose-coloured starling, Nant-y-coed


This morning I had a job near Holywell with a very early start and a very early finish and so with the lure of an adult rose-coloured starling in a garden in Llandudno Junction I took advantage of the opportunity and headed west.

The bird has been elusive at best over the past few days and wasn't on show when I arrived at Nant-y-coed. There were a couple of birders walking around the estate trying to track down the starling flocks, but I wasn't convinced that this was the right approach. 

There's a common misconception amongst many birders that rosy starlings move around with starling flocks, but in my experience they don't. Yes they may be present at feeders when common starlings are also feeding, but usually they don't move with the flocks. I've found that rosy starlings actually tend to stay close to the areas where they feed and that's why they can be so elusive. They feed on feeders often out of view in a back garden, and when the starling flock moves off, the rosy starling stays in the garden, often hidden in the foliage of a tree or bush until it gets hungry again. Only rarely do they move to other feeders or sit up high up on aerials.

After I'd been in the street for an hour a car pulled up and the occupant got out and said "You've no chance". After a little prompting he explained "the bird feeds in my garden or my neighbours and very rarely leaves. It just sits hidden in the fir tree at the back until it's ready to feed again. You can come in if you like."

I walked down his driveway until I had a nice view of his small lawn. He put some food down about 3m from me and 10 minutes later the bird appeared in the fir tree and after a further 10 minutes flew onto the lawn and began feeding. A really nice close view. I don't think I'd have seen it if I'd not been invited in, certainly mine was the only mention of the bird on BirdGuides today.



Actually I think that this is a 1st summer bird rather than a full adult, due to the brown nape and possibly also the smudgy back.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts